So Wade was having a look over the two boards I finished last night and spotted that one was backwards. He showed me how to desolder with solder wick and sorted it out for me. This is the third time he's spotted me doing something wrong and steered me clear before I blew anything up.
In other related reprapping new I got the DC motor board finished. This was a much denser board but didn't have any of those bloody diodes. Wade's reprap seems to be doing well at the moment, there's some clutching issues with the extruder motor but he's tweaking the config to play around with it.
Here's a few photos of what I've done:
The bottom right diode is the offending member post repair.
One DC motor kit pre soldering.
One DC motor kit post soldering. I've yet to stick in the chips and solder on the interface wires, called it a night a bit early.